Thursday, June 4, 2009

You'll Never Walk Alone

So the motto of Liverpool FC is "You'll never walk alone" taken from the musical "Carousel" the musical. I've never seen "Carousel", but those words ring true to everyone in this life whether you know it or not. I suppose those words ring the most true to Liverpool supporters who remember the Hillsborough tragedy where 96 fans were killed in one of Britain's worst sports disasters. I like to listen to World Soccer Daily, where both of the hosts talked about the Hillsborough tragedy, and many Liverpool supporters are very mad about the comments made by the hosts because they seemed to make light of the situation. I'm not acquainted personally with the Hillsborough tragedy, but I am not unfamiliar with tragedy. What I gather from life so far is that tragedy happens to all of us, and it takes everyone different times to feel justice has been served that we can cope with our own tragedies. I don't judge Kenny and Stephen for what they said, but it seems very evident to me that there are a lot of people at Merseyside that have not received justice and retribution for their tragedy. Some families may have dealt with their losses and are ready to move on, but at the same time so people still need time to deal completely with the tragedies they have endured. I respect both sides, and understand both conditions, but ask for patience as people need different times to deal with tragedy.

I learned today that a relative of mine passed on tonight, suddenly. I was not particularly close to my relative, but nonetheless, I feel a sense of loss for myself and my family. To me he was an uncle, but to some he was a brother, and son. My time of mourning will be less than others, but what seems the most important to me right now is the Scouser truth that "You'll never walk alone..." My family will endure this time of sorrow, and through strength prevail. However, soon in the future it seems there will be another tragedy in my family, but again we will band together, pool strength, and overcome adversity. We will never walk alone...

--DoE

No comments:

Post a Comment